We are a growing team, comprising the following types of children’s doctors:
- Consultant Paediatrician: specialists in baby and child health who typically have not less than 10 years of postgraduate experience (usually 20 to 40 years experience). Such doctors are often hospital based and have sub-specialist areas of interest in children’s medicine.
- Primary Care Paediatrician: this is a special type of children’s doctor who has far more extensive specialist training and experience in baby and child health than normal GPs, and are very rarely found in the UK. We choose them to join the MERAS Children’s Healthcare team because they have worked in children’s departments or children’s hospitals for at least 5-10 years, in addition to the standard GP training. This is in stark contrast to the average GP who has typically not more than 6 months of training in paediatrics. This means they are very comfortable dealing with children’s medical problems and have done so for many years, often being the senior-most paediatrician (known as ‘Registrars’) on site in a hospital out-of-hours, caring for the sickest of babies and children with the on-call Consultant Paediatrician available to advise. We call them ‘Primary Care Paediatricians’ because they are registered GPs who have formal training in both General Practice and Child Health similar to Primary Care Paediatricians in Europe and also hold professional qualifications in both disciplines:
- MRCGP: Membership of the Royal College of General Practitioners, which is the qualification necessary to become a fully trained GP.
- MRCPCH: Membership of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. This is the qualification that is obtained by paediatricians, on the road to becoming a Consultant/Specialist in Child Health.
Our registered patients can benefit from a high level of quality of care in the following areas:
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of medical problems in babies and children
- Medical advice and guidance for parents/guardians (we are developing a special child health advisory service, accessible via video link, for patients around the world…24 hours around the clock, 7 days a week!)
- Preventative health assessment and screening evaluations for babies and children, to help detect and sort out problems early
- Blood and other lab tests, to aid diagnosis and monitor medical conditions
- Neurodevelopmental and neurocognitive care, dealing with both developmental issues and behavioural concerns (e.g. ADHD, autism/autistic spectrum disorders etc.)
- Children’s allergy service, including allergy testing (e.g. skin prick tests and RAST blood testing)
- Immunisations, both routine and uncommon ones needed for special occasions (e.g. travel vaccinations)
A list of the conditions we can help with are shown on the right hand side of this page. This list is not exhaustive! It is simply to give you an idea of the wide range of our practice.
Our children’s doctors are supported by registered professionals from the following disciplines:
- Paediatric physiotherapy
- Paediatric occupational therapy
- Paediatric speech and language therapy
- Paediatric dietetics and nutrition
- Paediatric audiology
- Child psychology